My detailed US Immigrant Visa Interview Experience (IR2)

Image result for visa interview
Photo not mine (ctto)



Hey!

It's been a while. The first half months of this year has been a roller coaster ride. Last June 2, I just graduated and it has been one of the most exciting days for me. But before I graduated, I have been struggling to manage my time on fulfilling the pre-interview requirements for my US visa and at the same time finishing my school requirements. But at least I'm soo done right now!

Last May, I was scheduled for a visa interview at 10AM dated June 2 (yes, my graduation day). At first, I was okay to push through with it but since I was waiting for my graduation for so long, I rescheduled my interview. Who wanted to be late for graduation day? Not me. Haha. So I'll be putting here my experiences before, during and after my US visa interview since I noticed that most of the blogs out there were about tourist visa interview experience.

My father petitioned me. I was actually 20 years old when my father filed this petition. At first, I was worried because I'll be turning 21 that time so maybe they would be putting me to another visa category. But thankfully, I was still under the IR2 visa category. It's a type of visa for a minor child (21 years below) of a US citizen. Since I turned 21 last January 2017, my age "freezes" to 20 because I was a minor when my father filed the petition. This right is under the Child Status Protection Act by the USCIS.

Okay, so part of the pre-interview requirements is the medical exam but I'm planning to put up another blog for this. Let me know if you would like it ;)


Let's go straight with the interview.


As I have mentioned, I rescheduled my interview appointment. So from June 2 at 10AM, it was moved to July 17 at 6:40AM. I had enough time to prepare all the necessary documents for the interview.


Few tips before going to the embassy:

  • Triple check if you have brought all the documents and photocopy (See checklist from your appointment letter)
  • Go to the embassy as early as you can (I suggest 2 hours before your appointment time)
  • Wear decent clothes
  • Don't bring cell phones, gadgets, or sharp objects
  • Pray :)

My appointment was very very early. I believe we were the first batch to have our interview. So my mom and I went to the embassy at 4:30AM. 


Here's what you will be expecting when you get there:

1. You will find people gathered in one area of the embassy
  • As long as you see people, you're on the right path. Hahaha
2. There are monoblocks set at that area
  • As long as you get there, someone will be offering you to sit at the monoblock. Mind you, you have to pay 30 pesos for that seat. If you don't want to spend money and you are willing to wait while standing, it's okay :) It was just surprising because we thought those people are associated with the embassy but it wasn't because we were thinking that the embassy has provided us free seats for us to wait. Hahaha. 
3. Sellers and the like
  • When we arrived, we were asked how many 2x2 photos I have brought. I just brought 2 pictures based on the checklist. The manongs/manangs (the sellers) there told us that the requirement is to bring 4 pictures. Moreover, I must be wearing a collared shirt "daw" in the picture. Since I wanted to have complete requirements, we took the risk. I gave them my pictures and they scanned and edited it (put collar). I waited for around 30 minutes to get those photos. And to our surprise, it cost 190 pesos for 6 pieces! So for you not to be offered by them, just bring 4 pieces of 2x2 photos instead. 
  • Since phones are not allowed inside the embassy, I suggest not to bring it with you. Or else, you will be leaving your phones to the manongs/manangs, and pay 200 pesos (I'm not sure of the price if it's still the same). But they have their IDs naman to show you. To those who have trust issues, better not bring your phones na lang. Hahaha.

Now, when your appointment time is near, an employee of the embassy will be asking you to line up together with the other applicants from the same category and appointment time as yours :) While waiting in line, prepare your passport and DS-260 with you. The other documents could be kept first inside the envelope or any file organizer. 


Here's the next process in order:

  1. You and the other applicants will be called to line up under a tent (near the entrance of the embassy)
  2. They will be asking you to bring out your passport and DS-260
  3. A staff will be giving you zip lock for your passport (Yup, you'll be putting your passport inside the zip lock; they will give instructions naman)
  4. Afterwards, they will be putting stickers of the barcode in your DS-260.
  5. You can now enter the embassy yey!
  6. There would be a security check of your belongings (mala-airport like na may x-ray machine for the bags)
  7. There are enough signs inside so you won't get lost and you could follow the other applicants as well.

Once you are inside the area where the interview is being conducted:
  1. Another security check of belongings
  2. The guards and other personnel will be guiding you on what place/area you should wait (it depends on the first letter of the barcode- the sticker which has been put to your DS-260)
  3. I was in the C area. The place is actually divided into 3 parts/areas (A, B, C). Each part or area has its own windows for pre-screening, fingerprint scanning and interview). 
  4. Wait for a few minutes to be called to line up for pre-screening

PRE-SCREENING
  • Prepare the necessary documents (a personnel will be telling you this as well)
  • The necessary documents that we were asked to prepare are NBI clearance, CENOMAR, birth certificate, DS-260, and passport (ALL SHOULD BE ORIGINAL COPY)
  • Once called, the interviewer will be asking you some questions based on the application form (the interviewer for the pre-screening is a Filipino so it's okay to speak Tagalog if you want)
  • Please bring PICTURES of you and your petitioner. If you are a minor and the petitioner is an immediate relative, bring old pictures, if possible, and the recent ones. The interviewer asked me to show her pictures of me and my father. 
  • The interviewer asked me if I have a proof of remittances. Unfortunately, I did not bring any since my father has sent this to the NVC beforehand. For you to be sure, just bring this if you have. If you don't, it's okay too since it wouldn't be a hindrance for your visa to get approved.

FINGERPRINT SCANNING
  • After the pre-screening, you will be instructed to go the other window for fingerprint scanning.
  • An American personnel was the one who facilitated the fingerprint scanning (He was so serious, looks scary lol)

INTERVIEW

The most awaited part of the day! After the fingerprint scanning, you will be asked to take a seat to wait for your turn. At that time, there were only 3 consuls. Maybe because we were the first batch and we were only few. I was 4th in line when only 2 consuls are present. I was really, really, nervous because I could hear the conversations between the consuls and the applicants. I was praying that I would land to a kind consul. There was a woman consul (with copper-like hair color) and she was very kind. Unfortunately, I did not land to her. :( 

While waiting for my turn, the third consul opened his window and I was freaking nervous because I will be the first to be interviewed by him. Okay. So it was actually kind of a waiting game during my interview because I was the first and I think he was still arranging or preparing something in his computer.

Before I was interviewed, I had a pledge saying that I should tell the truth (and nothing but the truth so help me God haha). Afterwards, he proceeded with the questions. Some of the questions were:

  • What is your name?
  • How old are you?
  • When is your birthday?
  • Who is your petitioner?
  • When did your father go to US?
  • How did he acquire his citizenship?
  • How many are they in the house? (place where I'll be staying)
  • Are your parents separated?
  • Do you have pictures with him?

It's so funny that there were more questions in the pre-screening than the actual interview. Hahaha. And the questions were easier lol. Thank God the consul whom I landed with is also kind, though he looks scary. :) After the interview, he gave me this piece of paper (steps on how to register the address for visa delivery) and told me that he'll be reviewing my documents. I was confused if I have been approved or not. And I didn't want to ask him if I'm approved (duh). Hahaha. BUT he did not give my passport back to me. AND the personnel told us before the interview that if the piece of paper is given to us, we can go home but if the consul gives back the DS-260, we should follow some instructions given. 

So since the consul gave me that paper, I exited the embassy and went to my mom to share the news. Although I was not really expecting too much since the consul did not even tell me if I was approved or not! Hahaha. We just assumed since I didn't have my passport back. :)

After 2 days, since we were just assuming if my visa has been approved, I checked my case status through this site: https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx and it says that my visa has been issued. See the screenshot below :)




Last Friday, July 21, 2017, I got my visa packet already. You can't open this visa packet and you shouldn't. Haha. (There would be instructions together with the visa packet so no worries) The delivery was fast! The courier, by the way, is 2GO. They'll be informing you first (via text) if your visa packet will arrive. So make sure you're at home! ;)


So there you go! Hope this blog was helpful.


Thank you. God bless and good luck! :)



Comments

  1. hi! congrats on making it through! i am also being petitioned by my dad. a few days ago, my case has been completed. I'm currently waiting for my interview sched and it's kinda nerve racking haha so if u dont mind, may i ask how long it took you to receive an appointment letter? and, also how did your father acquire his US Visa? Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! My dad filed the petition last November 2016 and I received the appointment letter last May 2017. It took 6 months only so it was pretty fast! Good thing I was a minor when my dad filed the petition. Lol. My dad acquired his US citizenship through marriage. Good luck on your interview! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thank you for the reply! I finally got my appointment letter last Dec and I am scheduled for an interview on January 25.. which is in 4 days... i hope mine would go as smoothly as yours! and btw, do u have any plans on becoming a US Citizen yourself so u could petition ur mom? I am in the same boat as yours and I just wish Trump's RAISE Act would not pass so my plans on petitioning my mom after I got there (and become a US Citizen) would not be disrupted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! How was your interview? Hope it turned out well! Yes I was planning to apply citizenship din to petition my mom. Kaya lately Trump's RAISE Act bothers me a lot :(

      Delete
  3. Hi! I'm so glad I came across this blog. Congratulations! Like you, I was also petitioned by my father when I was 20. I am 22 now and I am scheduled for interview this February 8. I wanted to ask if you have provided on your date of interview your father's IRS transcript of records, W-2 Form, and recent federal income tax return? I was curious if these documents were very important to present to the consular officer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mecaila! I didn't bring those with me. The consul didn't ask me to present those but the pre-screen interviewer (which is Pinoy) did. I told her I didn't bring those documents kasi all the original documents have been submitted already. It was okay naman daw. Didn't have a problem with it. :) But if you have those documents with you, you could bring it (just in case). Ako kasi walang dala talaga. Haha. Good luck on your interview!

      Delete
  4. Hello congrats.. I have some issues I will like you to help me with. My passport expires exactly 6months .. Do you think I will have problems?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please what is the meaning of the ads-260

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Just got approved. Same situation hehehe by the way how did you register your delivery address? Got a little confused 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We submitted all the docs and requirements that NVC need. We are still waiting for them to set the schdule for interview and medical.. usually how long will that take.. oh by the way it was my son who petition his 6 yrs old daughter. And i was wondering what questions will they ask her? I will be the one (grandmother) will accompany her to the interview in us embassy manila.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much time nvc take to schedule an interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a few weeks only. But right now due to COVID it will take longer especially that President Trump suspends entry of Immigrants until December 2020.

      Delete
  10. Hi mam if our parents are seperated what questions will they ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, he just asked me if my parents were separated. My parents were indeed separated and I just said yes. There were no follow up questions about that. But just to be sure since every consul is different, they might ask when did they separate, proof of divorce/annulment.

      Delete
  11. Hello
    My visa was approved but I’d to know how many times they’ll take to send to me my passport

    ReplyDelete
  12. What if I don't have picture with my father at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are the documents you carried at the interview

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are old posts. I have a current one. I am USC, petitioned my wife's 7 yr old in Oct 2019. First interview was Sept. 2021, that was cancelled by us due to Covid there and here in US. After six months of trying to secure another appointment online, one was got for Match 1, 2022. My wife and child went there, did it all, but St.Lukes med records not ready until 1 PM that day. The interview was at 10:30 AM. They refused them at the embassy without the Med records. Lots of wasted $$ going there from US. Now, trying to reschedule....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts